Equitas Health reserves the right to inspect all costumes and weapons on an individual basis in order to ensure that the event remains completely safe. Those who violate these rules assume all responsibility in the event of injury.
You as a participant can help us improve event security, safety, and the overall happiness of everyone at or near Masquerage. While everyone attending Masquerage this year knows about costumes and props, the citizens of Dayton may be unaware of Masquerage and mistake prop weapons for real weaponry. If you have a weapon or prop that might intimidate or scare people, please be mindful of it as you carry it throughout the city streets and on public transit. We would hate to cause unnecessary panic, upset, or unwarranted calls to 911. We really appreciate your being mindful of this and using common sense when it comes to props and costuming!
No functional weapons are allowed at Masquerage. Simulated or costume weapons are allowed as a part of your costume, subject to prior approval by security and compliance with the following guidelines:
- All weapons must be easily distinguishable from real weapons and must be constructed from safe, lightweight material. Approved materials are: rubber, plastic (PVC, Worbla, Sintra etc.), foam, cardboard, and papier- mâché. Metal fashioning may be used to accent the cosplay items, but must not be used as the primary construction material.
- No prop firearms are allowed at the event.
- No ‘Live Steel’ Weapons are allowed at the event. ‘Live Steel’ refers to any bladed article, sharp, or otherwise. E.g. no swords, knives (of any kind), “Wolverine” claws, “Freddy Kruger” finger gloves, or other similar items.
- Costume weapons may be inspected by Security to ensure that they are safe and inoperable.
- All costume weapons must conform to state and federal law.
- Real firearms, regardless of any degree of disassemblage, are forbidden.
- Small, lightweight, metal objects like Sonic Screwdrivers, Lightsaber handles, are allowed, but must not be used as functional weapons. These items will all be subject to check.
- Arrows and bolts for bow and crossbows must be fashioned out of approved materials (not metal). The tips for these items must not be metal or sharpened.
- Costume swords/daggers made from approved materials are allowed, but may not have any sharp edges. They must be tied to your costume in such a way that they cannot be drawn or unsheathed. Metal blades are not allowed, whether they are sheathed or not.
- No wooden or aluminum/metal bats are permitted. This includes baseball bats, cricket bats, clubs, paddles, golf clubs and similar objects. Bats made from approved materials are allowed.
- Saws, brass-knuckles, nunchucks, or other types of weapons, may not be crafted from metal. These items must be used in a display function and not used for engagement.
- Staffs, staves, Escrima Sticks, bo-staffs, canes, or other types of weapons must be constructed from the approved list and not metal.
- Bullwhips, lassos, ropes and other similar types of items must be coiled and secured to the Cosplayer.
- Incendiary, spark-creating, or other flammable weapons are PROHIBITED. Likewise, any items classified as an ECD (taser, stun-guns, etc) are PROHIBITED.
- Metal Barbed-wire will not be permitted.
- Do not display your weapons or props in a threatening or menacing manner. (For instance, it’s ok to pose for a picture, but cosplayers should not brandish weapons while walking the event.)
- If you leave the premises or go out into public for any reason, please put away any and all prop weaponry immediately.
- Bags and backpacks are allowed but are subject to a bag check at the discretion of the event security*.
If you do not want to have your costume weapons inspected, or if you are unwilling to comply with these policies, please leave them at home. Props/Weapons that, upon inspection, do not comply with the above standards must immediately be removed from the property or thrown away. Failure to willingly comply with Masquerage official rules and weapons policy may result in ejection from the event (without a refund) and/or potential legal action, if necessary.
All rules and regulations are subject to change.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR UNIQUE WEAPONS IDEA, PLEASE CONTACT JOSTIN SCHIMMOELLER AT JOSTINSCHIMMOELLER@EQUITASHEALTH.COM
Thank you for your continued support and contribution to making this the best Masquerage ever.